Most people have incorrect body mechanics to begin with. These problems are caused by habit, whether sitting all day at a desk job or simply being lazy. The body will always attempt to relax and be at rest, this is natural but in the process the body skirts its correct mechanical function and this creates problems. We will discuss this more in the future, in the mean time lets make certain we are at least building strenght correctly.
The Pushup Ladder. Nothing new here but this exercise will build muscle and strength in the entire upper body.
- Get in push up position, hands under shoulders approximately shoulder width apart or a bit wider.
- Lower your self to the floor to the point where you would touch a balled fist with your chest. This is your starting position.
- Push yourself up quickly and drop back to the floor. You have just done one rep. While holding yourself the one fist length off the ground count to one. This is your rest period and it will be as many seconds as the number of pushups you are currently at.
- Push up again, drop, back up and drop. You have just done 2 reps and now count to two seconds for your rest.
- Continue this progression for as many pushups and rest periods as you can.